At Agim Salon, since starting our blog, we have focused on beauty aspects predominantly aimed at females but today we are going to change that because men need to take care of themselves too!
We are going to cover male grooming this week (in very general terms) and will expand in the weeks and months to come to cover all the important issues.
The days when all it took, for a night out, was a quick shave, shower and spray of your best smelling deodorant have truly been consigned to the past, sorry guys but it’s a fact and if you are still “old school” you may want to re-think about your pre-night out routine. Male grooming, over time has evolved and is considered to be on a par with the female grooming rituals as far more pride in appearance has become “fashionable” to the point of absolutely necessary.
To some men (perhaps some of the older generation) what is mentioned in the next sentence could well get a negative reaction as it may be seen as unmanly but hey! Its 2012 get with the program guys. There are male lipsticks and eye shadows available and even manicured nails are growing in popularity. There is now a belief along the lines of looking good to feel good and if the look is not right, confidence takes a hit, it seems men can no longer live without both.
To “real” men (to coin a phrase) this appears to be a step too far and women should like their man to be rugged, just like the good old days. To some guys, no doubt, that remains an appealing prospect but in most cases it simply is not going to happen. The women folk expect/demand more of the modern man (for those who were not previously aware) so if you are single and on “the prowl” you will need to make far more of an effort than in days gone by.
At Agim Salon we are going to explain how to get you up to speed, explain a few tricks to help you make the transition effortlessly and painlessly so return to our blog and catch up with what suggestions we have for you.
This week, Agim Salon is going to touch on Mascara, well some types of mascara to be more precise. They come in a variety of forms from the basic to the glittery types. The choice can be overwhelming to the inexperienced user so we are going to try and simplify things a little and highlight some major differences.
First thing to explain is that there are just two basic kinds of mascara based on their composition, water proof and non-water proof. The water proof version will resist moisture such as rain, sweat or tears etc. Whichever type you buy, they are likely to be wax, fat or oil based products as these are water repellant.
The water proof mascaras are perhaps best for those that are active or at work for the majority of the day as they do not require frequent attention to keep them looking just right and ideal for wearing to places like the beach, parties or visiting anywhere where there is moisture in the air. The only downside is that water proof mascara requires a make-up remover to get rid of it. You may be able to remove a certain amount with soap and water but you will never remove all of it. Some manufactures are a little sneaky and produce mascara that can only be removed by using their mascara remover and it is possible that by trying another brand of remover could cause some kind of adverse reaction.
Non-water proof mascara will not last on the lashes as long but they should not be considered as being inferior to the water proof version, and are manufactured to be easier and lighter to apply. This lighter composition enables manufacturers to add other ingredients to create specialty mascaras. Being non-water proof they will of course run when in contact with some kind of moisture which will place a limit on how long you can wear it but on the plus side they are easily removed.
Mascaras are mainly either in a liquid, powder of cream form. The powders were the original form and are dusted over eye lashes or put on using a wet brush and are ideal for a short duration.
The creams are heavier but their properties also mean they have a strong hold and a good thickening effect. Putting it on can be a messy affair but using a grooved applicator makes the job easier.
The most common of the modern day are the liquids and are the best for coloring and darkening your lashes and absolutely ideal with well curled eye lashes to add a little definition.
Agim Salon stocks the Fifth Element range of mascara products – Volume X, Water Proof and Liquid Liner in a wide range of colors. Contact Agim Salon to discuss any aspect of mascara or indeed any other beauty products or tips.
A few weeks ago Agim Salon discussed changing hair color to dark from light, a simple enough process but what about making the opposite change?
There are some methods you can adopt and visiting a salon is just one of them and if you want to try one or more methods suggested below just remember that timing and hair condition need consideration, Agim Salon would recommend you visit a hair salon to discuss these kind of consideration. You can ask Agim Salon who will be happy to help.
While direct sunlight will create a lighter shade it only changes the hair that is exposed to its rays. If you are happy with just the outer layer being lighter and you are fortunate enough to have sufficient sunlight then you can do this at no cost.
For those of you who want to achieve more or cannot spend enough time in the sun, here are a few methods you could try out.
Many local drugs stores stock lightening sprays, which are simply to use and are easily affordable. Spray the hair where you want it and blow dry. Did I mention it was simple? If you are going out in to the sun you can perform this very easily task just before you go out and the sun will create a chemical reaction with the spray and make the color even lighter.
Many drug stores also stock hair dye and this can be used to lighten hair coloring but is perhaps limited to achieving just 2 or 3 shades lighter. Select a shade slightly lighter than you want (perhaps just 1 shade). When using a dye, the lightening process is permanent and to go back to your original color will require more dyeing. Do not chemically dye your hair more than 1 time in a 4-6 week period.
Of course going to your local hair salon is the option if you want instant results but it is going to cost more. You will also get a great amount of information about changing hair color from these people and they may even doing it way be an unwise choice. Contact Agim Salon HERE and they will be happy to help you with this.
Add a little lemon juice, squeezed from the lemon or from a bottle, to the conditioner you use. By adding more, the more the lightening effect will be and may be a case of trial and error perhaps. The conditioner protects the hair so you need not worry about that. The lemon juice approach may take several attempts if you have dark hair and probably will not work on black hair.
Agim Salon are always happy to help you with anything in relation to hair and beauty. Feel free to contact us and simply ask your question(s)
Out of either habit or instinct, when we hold a conversation our eyes tend to look at the other persons lips although most of time we do not consciously do this. Next time you talk to someone (which should be sometime soon) try to think about this and see for yourself.
So, this week Agim Salon is going to suggest some tricks and tips to overcome “problem” lips.
Lips, like any other part of the body are prone to wear and tear, aging etc. and over time you need to sometimes need to make a slightly different approach in to applying your chosen lip “covering”.
Scaly or flaky Lips
Here is a straight forward DIY trick to remove scales of flakes with very little effort; all you need is a toothbrush and a little Vaseline.
- Generously apply some Vaseline to your lips.
- Using the toothbrush and moving it in small circles, massage the lips.
- Remove the excess Vaseline
By repeating this 1 or 2 times a day you will eventually remove the scales or flakes.
Lipstick that stains your teeth
This is a common problem that can be solved easily.
- Apply your lipstick as you normally would.
- Place one finger in your mouth.
- Close your mouth ensuring both lips clamp your finger.
- Remove your finger.
This simple procedure should remove excess lipstick and prevent it from going on to your teeth.
Want “fuller” lips?
There is no “simple” answer but there is something you can try out before thinking about more drastic action.
- Apply some lip-gloss, in some cases this is enough. If not, try the next tip.
- Use darker lip-gloss, perhaps 3 or 4 shades darker than normal. A red shade can help to make lips more full.
- For a long-lasting look, try using a lip cream containing peptides or other boosters. Some may work and others perhaps will not. This is by no means a “definite” solution.
- As a last resort, to achieve a permanent look you will probably need to visit a plastic surgeon for consultation. Only you can decide if the benefits (and possible pit-falls) will justify the cost as this is likely to be repeated every 6 months.
Agim Salon will be adding further tips for lips in the coming weeks so please return to get an update.
For more help about lips or any other beauty tips or products you can contact Agim Salon HERE
A change of hairstyle can be so appealing for many women for so many reasons and having a short hairstyle is a very popular choice if you looking for a substantial makeover. However, short hair is not all a “bed of roses” and there are some drawbacks or cons (if you prefer). Agim Salon, this week, are going to suggest to you the benefits and drawbacks of taking such a dramatic course of action.
The benefits are (and in no particular order)
- An obvious starter is that styling short hair can be so much quicker and easier. A quick brush through may well be enough to start your day.
- If you have worn long hair for many years, short hair will provide you with a considerable boost and make no mistake – people you know ARE going to notice! Remember how many times you trimmed your long hair only for your partner to not notice?
- Short hair is more suitable for the summer months and holidays to hot climates and of course should you fancy a “dip” at the seaside on your holiday it takes considerably less time to dry and manage your hair after it has been dipped in the salty water.
- Short hair offers the opportunity to “make a statement” with a single hair color. Ideal if you like bold colors such as red or black.
- Short hair appears to grab the attention more than long hair. Despite the belief that men prefer longer hair, women with short hair can be equally appealing.
- Short hair as mentioned above is easier to manage – it is also cheaper to maintain as you use less shampoo and/or conditioner and does not blow around in the wind, covering your eyes at a vital moment in time. Additionally less styling is required which in turn means less damage to your hair.
So, enough good points to make the change worthwhile but what of the not-so-good points?
- It may not be quite so easy to project the feminine look, depending on your facial features although some make up can turn this disadvantage around.
- Obviously with short hair you will lose the versatility that long hair offers.
- Once the transformation is complete, you might not even like the “new look” you have created and it is going to take some time to get your long hair back or even have it sufficiently long enough to create another style.
- You are going to feel colder in the winter.
- If you like your short hair and want to keep that look, you will probably need to trim the hair more frequently, perhaps every 4-6 weeks.
- Just because you now have short hair does not necessarily mean you will not need to style it so often, sometimes it needs to be daily to create even a reasonable appearance. It is even possible that you may need to perform a daily ritual of washing it to remove the products you previously used to style your hair.
Agim Salon has highlighted just a few “pros” and “cons” to making the switch to short hair and ultimately the decision to change or not rests with you.
If you need further information please do not hesitate to contact Agim Salon by clicking HERE